A Travellerspoint blog

Will we get to India?

We flew from HCMC to HK and planned to check in and then have the whole day in and around the airport while we waited for our flight at 9pm. We arrive in HK about 10:30 so plenty of time to check in our bags. The check in counter seemed to be taking a long time sorting out our tickets and after about 10 mins advised us that we had canceled our flight. Errrm, no? Where is this coming from? Apparently we had not flown from HCMC to HK?? The confusion it seemed was that we had changed our flight from 3rd to 5th but the booking agent booked us on a Vietnam share of a Cathay Pacific flight but didn't cancel the Cathay part of the flight so they thought that we didn't show up. Still following?? The problem was that the flight we were supposed to be on was full and not only that but it was over booked by 14 people and the flights to Delhi were booked for the next month - ouch!! Long story short but they could only put us on stand by and we were to check the stand by counter and 8:40 to see if we could get on. What were we going to do if we couldn't I don't know. We had booked a domestic flight to Goa as well so if we missed this flight we would lose our money.

We went to the Cathay Pacific Service desk to see if they could help and we were there for about 2 hours but the answer was the same. We were on standby. What really upset me was that it wasn't our fault but it seemed that Cathay Pacific didn't care, and to be honest why should they, it wasn't their mistake it was the Quantas office in HCMC that didn't complete the transaction correctly. We were told by Cathay that they had space in Business class and if we wanted to spend HK$10000 on an upgrade that would be fine!!!! It was suggested that we could speak to the supervisor for and upgrade so off we trundled to ticketing. No luck there. We couldn't even get close to a supervisor for a start and the business upgrades if done were given to loyalty members only. We would have to wait. I had resigned myself to this and we got a coffee and sat on the internet. Thank goodness it was HK airport though, one of the best airports in the world. Although we were not able to get through to departures there was still loads for us to do.

Paul is a legend!!! While I was licking my wounds and surfing the net he went exploring and actually found and office directory in a dark corner of the airport. Miracles happen!! There was a Qantas office in the building next door and Paul went to explore. I don't know what he did but about 40 mins later he comes down with a piece of paper saying that we could check in!! No way!! We walked over to the check in and without giving our names or any details we were directed to a check in desk that already had our boarding cards printed and waiting for us - that was a bit weird.

I guess we have learned that to get anywhere you need to speak to the right people. There is no point is wasting energy on people that really cannot do anything about your situation.

Phew!!! India here we come......

Posted by paulandjes 22:27 Archived in Hong Kong Tagged transportation Comments (0)

Dalat - Vietnam

Rain, rain, go away...

rain 27 °C

We flew into Dalat as time was running out for us and it made a nice change from overnight buses. Getting to Dalat was easy, you walk outside the airport and there is a shuttle bus that takes you into town. We found a lovely guest house just outside of town and as we arrived with another couple and as Paul and I were staying for 4 nights we were able to get a good deal - I lurrrve a good deal!!

We grabbed a couple of bikes on the first day and pootled about taking in the sites. We went to a place called the crazy house and it was completely crazy. It was a bit hectic and dangerous if you ask me. No architecture rules and all higgledy piggledy but Paul loved it.

P1040332.jpg P1040346.jpg

We had the opportunity to go canyoning the next day which was fantastic. Paul and I love a bit of adventure so thought we would take the opportunity. We very nearly didn't go though as when we arrived it was pi$$ing down with rain. We were about to give up hope when it eased off a bit and we decided that hey were are going to get anyway and as long as it wasn't dangerous that we would give it a go - hurrah!! It was only Paul and I in this group with 2 Vietnamese instructors which made the whole experience even more enjoyable. They were both really good and spoke really good english. We spent the first 20 mins practicing our abseiling technique on a slight incline which was really good.
Time to try it out for real. We toddled off around the corner to our first and biggest abseil of the day. 18m of shear drop. I got that horrible lurchy feeling in my stomach and had to watch Paul go first, which he seemed to do with a surprising amount of ease and even bounced some of the decent. My go.... To be honest I felt like crying!!! I stood and the edge and then had to move away again. Maybe I could go back to the car park? A few deep breaths later and bit of coaching from Tung my instructor and I was on my way down, bum out, sit down, soft knees, don't look down, don't look down, keep breathing. The first bit is definitely the worst. There was a big gaping hole and I had to jump over it and once I did that I loosened up and went for it. What a buzz.

The next abseil was only about 16m but was down a very powerful waterfall. I thought Tung was kidding when he said we were going down it. Paul went first again and he has an aversion to getting his head wet so I wasn't sure how he was going to cope with this one. He did really well but half of the way down he lost his footing and couldn't get back up again. He was finding it hard to breath and the water was freezing. We were told that if we couldn't get back up then we needed to roll onto our backs and slide all the way down which is what Paul ended up down - not happy, poor boy.

My experience was very much the same half way down the waterfall there is a hole that you cant see so you lose your footing and slide onto your knees. The water is extremely strong and it takes all of you concentration and will power to keep holding on and breathing. Somehow I managed to stand back up and continue down for a few more metres. I was only about a couple of metres from the pool at the bottom when I lost my footing again, this time the water ripped my sandal off my foot and I was so exhausted I just rolled onto my back and slid down. I arrived at the pool gasping for water and relieved to be alive!!

It rained off and on for the rest of the day, it stopped for about half an hour while we hungrily ate lunch of loads fruit and cheese rolls. Our poor guides had been carrying it with them for the journey so the more you ate the less they had to carry back with them. You don't need to ask me twice :0) Unfortunately this is where I got the camera wet and have yet to get it repaired - boo hoo!!

We slid down a couple of small waterfalls and did one other abseil and the whole day was a blast, one of the best yet.

We booked an Easy Rider for the next day. A Vietnamese guide on a motorbike that takes you around the countryside. It was good but it was raining heavily again and I was cold and a bit down in the dumps really. Paul loved it and I did too but I guess I was sulking that we couldn't take the camera. It didn't help that the lunch they took us to was a set menu and everything contained meat. I did tell them that I don't eat meat but they don't seem to understand so I was wet and hungry. Not a great day for me.

Dalat as a whole is a lovely town, much cooler and greener as it is in the hills and has a great French influence so was a bit like staying in Europe. I am glad we made the effort to go though.

Posted by paulandjes 21:31 Archived in Vietnam Tagged round_the_world Comments (1)

Hoi An - Vietnam

Oodles of retail therapy

rain 27 °C

The bus journey was not so bad. The bus looked nothing like the picture in the hotel but that was to be expected. I didn't get a wink of sleep, I just had these weird waking dream things going on but I was on the lower bunk right above the engine. Paul on the other hand slept like a log. We used our silk sleeping bag liners, finally they had a use after lugging them around for the past 6 weeks.

We changed buses in Hue and met up with Lucy, one of the girls we spent some time with in Hanoi. We had a quick chat and after some confusion (thinking that the bus had driven off with our bags when in fact it had just gone around the block so that it wasn't blocking the road) we squeezed onto a really full bus so wasn't able to catch up with Lucy on the way. When we stopped at the DMZ (De-Militarised Zone) for a quick coffee break we caught up and she introduced us to Julien, a french guy who lives in Spain who is a kite surfer now working in Vietnam - all right for some!! Julien had been recommended a hotel so we all decided to try that one once we got to Hoi An. The hotel looked great when we arrived. Some travellers were being fed a traditional Vietnamese meal when we arrived and assured us it was a great place to stay. Fab, only $10 a night and free internet. It was the Rugby World Cup final so we all decided to go to a pub that was showing the game at 2am. At 4am, many beers later and licking the wounds of a loss we trundled back to bed.

Oh my god, I feel like there is a pneumatic drill going off in my head!!! Hang on a minute, I didn't drink that much. What time is it? 8am, whats going on??? The hotel owner only decided that she didn't like the tiles in the lobby and thought it would be a good idea to rip them up at 8am in the morning. "Oh, sorry sorry" says Ann "Finish today, no noise tomorrow" Hmmmm, unless she was going to get a team of 50 men in there was no way that they would be finished today. The other guys were not impressed either, it would have been nice to be warned, but Ann was not stupid, if we were told, we probably wouldn't have stayed. Oh well it will be alright tomorrow... Time for some shopping therapy.


Hoi An is a little fishing village and has a really lovely vibe to it. The village is completely supported by the production of clothes. There are over 500 tailors in Hoi An, so even if you have super human will power there is no resisting the magnetic pull of the tailors. Each tailor shop front is stuffed full of dummies clothed in the most amazing items. I was in heaven. The quality is magnificent. You can flick through a catalogue and choose whatever catches your eye, choose your material and away they go working around you measuring you at lightening speed before you could even consider having second thoughts. I spent about a weeks travel budget in about 5 tailor shops. Even Paul could not resist he Paul bought 3 suits an 5 shirts!!! He loved being pampered and being told that he looked very handsome. By the way, they have all of the clothes ready for you the next day for a refitting and then either back in the evening or the following morning. Wow!! Lets not think about the fact that there could be small children working through the night just to make me look fabulous. (BTW - I really dont think thats the case) I was just about shopped out of clothes and thought it would be great to have a pair of boots for the English winter (seeing as I am such a wimp and need to toughen up to the cold). The lady I am sure read my mind and after saying "Just one more?" slapped open a catalogue at the shoe section. Now this is impressive!! Before I could sit down she had rung her cousin who makes shoes, 30 seconds later she arrives with a million swatches of leather. After i choose the boot and the leather She draws round my foot and measures round the ball of my foot, the arch round the ankle in several directions the up my leg in cm intervals until about an inch under my knee. I was amazed at them when they arrived the next afternoon, they were exactly like they were in the catalogue and fitted perfectly. Paul got a twinkle in his eye when I tried them on so they cant be that bad :0)


Apart from all the shopping we did actually do some site seeing and a cooking course would you believe. We got taught how to make Vietnamese pancakes, including the rice paper. Aubergine hot pot which was amazing and how to make pretty stuff to glam up the dishes. It was a fabulous day and well worth the $12 seeing as we got a boat trip up the river and we had the fruits of our labour for lunch.


My blog entry would not be complete without our latest saga. We, or rather Lucy met a Swiss woman who was going to Phu Quoc around the same time as her. They chatted, exchanged numbers and got the hotel to organise their tickets. On Lucy's last evening I walk into the hotel foyer (worksite) and there is a bit of a commotion going on. The owner rushes up to me and asks in broken English if I know where Lucy is? Through the confusion I work out that the Swiss woman has Lucy's ticket but not her own and she needs to be at the airport as her plane leaves in an hour. We ring the tailors where Lucy has gone to get her purchases but she left 5 minutes ago. The hotel already had a motorbike driver going around town looking for her (how they were going to find her in the rain when everyone was wearing raincoats I couldn't work out). Anyway, they wanted me to jump on the back of a bike and go and look for her too. How did I get mixed into this again?? Just as I was putting on a raincoat Lucy rings the Swiss womans mobile in answer to one of her frantic texts. I talk to her and Lucy has no idea what is going on she wasn't even given a ticket but is happy for me to have a look in her room. No luck, the the power off and the lights go out. I have spent loads of time trying to sort this out and couldn't think of any other way that I could sort this out so get on with my evening.

We are told in the morning (after I complain again about the drilling, banging and lack of water) that the missing ticket was found in the bottom of the swiss womans bag. Unbelievable!! Well in fact it was. We ran into the Swiss woman on Phu Quoc Island and she told us that the hotel had to go with her and buy her a replacement ticket!!

We were told that we would get a discount because of the noise and hassle but conveniently the owner was not available when we checked out and the receptionist didn't know what I was talking about (funny, this always seems to happen when you mention discount) but she seemed very fluent when telling us that Lucy had left without paying her taxi. There was no way I was going to pay that - sorry. We did however catch up with Lucy again in Phu Quoc (read Paul's blog) and she was shocked to hear that they tried to get money for the taxi as she had paid it!! Is there no end to the scamming, apparently not.... We finally got to the airport after would you believe it the Swiss woman who found us on the island and was staying at the same hotel, forgot her passport and we had to go back to the hotel to get it. ( I am sure this woman is jinxed).

The driver of the free shuttle bus followed us to the security checkpoint and then said at the last moment "you check pay taxi for me?" Heh? "Yes, you need pay taxi for me" He must be having a laugh, he wants us to pay for the free hotel shuttle. I must admit I gave him a taste of his own medicine - "Sorry, I don't understand" and promptly walked to the boarding gate.

Posted by paulandjes 03:49 Archived in Vietnam Tagged round_the_world Comments (0)

Phu Quoc Island - Vietnam

Like a bad episode of 'Lost'


Well, we've had a week on Phu Quoc Island which is off the west coast of Vietnam. We flew in and were picked up at the airport by the Tropicana resort our friends Lucy, Steve and Tanya were staying at.

P1040236.jpg P1040243.jpg

Looks nice eh? And it was very nice. Unfortunately for us, we didn't book a return flight to Saigon before we arrived expecting that we'd be able to book a flight with no problem from the island. (Our travel agent in Hoi An assured us it was 'No problem, no problem!'). We asked our hotel to help us book a flight for 29th October but were told 'No flights until 1st November'. Gulp! It's not easy to leave 'The Island' once you are on it apparently.

We settled in to a bit of sunbathing and swimming in the ocean and life was good again. We walked up the beach to a nice place called Eden who forced us to drink happy hour cocktails for a few hours. Good stuff. Eden offered a free shuttle boat back to our resort at midnight which was too good to turn down. The boat trip all went well with three drunk English people being taken home by some bemused Vietnamese boatmen. As we got to the resort, I somehow managed to fall backwards off the boat. SPLASH! Bugger! I had to crawl to the beach with the boat helpfully smacking into my back until I could stand up on the sand. Jess was laughing uncontrollably at the drowned rat in front of her. Oh well, off to bed.

More hardcore lying on the beach the next day. 'The Island' managed to wound me again when I walked into one of the sun huts and cut my head. In the evening, we went to a restaurant called 'Hop In' which was run by Australians and offered an Aussie BBQ menu. We sat down with a couple of Aussies who were staying at our resort who'd been drinking beers since breakfast. Jess struggled to get the owners to understand what vegitarian food is ('What no meat mate? Gaw on, I'll slap a steak on the barbie for ya!') and left with Lucy to go to another restaurant. I'd already ordered my Chicken Schnitzel so stayed for the fun. The pissed Aussies had ordered steaks and BBQ fish which Maurie, the owner (a Vietnam vet apparently) was preparing on the barbie. The fish arrived but my schnitzel hadn't so the Aussies said 'tuck in mate, I hate fish'. So I did. It was OK, to start with, then I ate something which was not very fish like. Hmmm, I don't think that is pate!! I spat it out and gulped some water. This seemed to get the Aussies attention so they started to eat the same part of the fish as I did. BIG mistake after about 50 cans of beer. One of them started looking very green whilst the other was talking about how bad it was to be eating 'rotting fish corpse'. This was just too much for the first guy who was sick out of his nostrils! Wow! 'Another beer Maurie!' the guy immediately shouted. My Schnitzel didn't arrive so Maurie went to the kitchen to abuse his (probably long suffering) Vietnamese staff. 10 mins later my food arrives. First few bites were not too bad. Then I ate something a bit squidgy. Hmmm. I had a good look at my schnitzel in the poor light. Hmmm. Not very cooked is it I thought. Steve then told me all about his 10 days of agony after eating raw chicken in China. Hmmmm. Off to the bathroom to get rid of the contents of my stomach. (I won't bore you with the details). At this point Jess arrived back at the restaurant to give me the appropriate amount of fuss and sympathy. Cheers Jess xx

'The Island' got me one more time the following day. Me and Jess were throwing a coconut shell to each other in the sea. Great fun until I managed to stand on a blow fish. Ouch. I had a 3 inch barb sticking out of my foot!

Our last few days on 'The Island' passed fairly uneventfully and we had some fun. We hired a motorbike on our last day and went round the island. There was a lovely waterfall we went for a swim in, a nice little fishing village where they sold local pearls and a beautiful beach to the south of the island called Bai Sao. All white sand and turquoise water. lovely, except for the polystyrene boxes, shoes, bottles and general rubbish all over the beach. A real shame.

Phu Quoc really is a beautiful place and I hope it doesn't become too commercialised. However, they are currently building an international airport and about 20 resorts down the coast so I guess that it is all a bit inevitable really. Shame.

We managed to get off 'The Island' on 31st October in the end. Back to Saigon where we were getting a flight to Dalat. We had a few hours between the flights so decided to go into town and try and change our flight out of Vietnam back a couple of days to give us more time in Dalat as we'd had to stay in Phu Quoc for longer than we had planned.

We went to the Cathay Pacific office who informed us that we needed to go to Qantas to change the ticket as it was a Qantas ticket even though the flight is with Cathay. 'It's not far' we were told, so off we went. Found the right street and were looking for number 37. 1, 2, 4, 5, 3, 2 err hang on. wrong way. Bugger. back we go. 9, 15, 18, 24, 27, err end of the street. bugger bugger! A Cyclo guy says he knows where it is. '15,000' (about a dollar, or 50p). OK, let's go. We both jump on and the cyclo guy struggles up the road. After a while, he points to the building and says '37, 37' OK, off we get and give him 15,000d . "I say 50,000". here we go again... another row over fares. After a bit of a 'lively discussion', we toddle off having paid 15,000 and find the Qantas office. Hooray! Err, closed for lunch. Bugger! (again) Fortunately, the guys in the office took pity on us when Jess poked her head in the dorr and explained, and changed our flight for us even though half the staff were asleep in the office! Awesome. Thanks Guys! Off to the airport for our flight to Dalat. Hooray.

Posted by paulandjes 01:38 Archived in Vietnam Comments (0)

Vietnam - Sapa & Ninh Bihn

The perils of flip flops and rice wine...

sunny 28 °C

We got a night train from Hanoi to Sapa and it was a great relief that
both of us slept. We were of course jammed into the top bunk but once
you are in it is probably one of the best spots to be in as you don't
get disturbed by other people. One poor girl told us how she was in a
cabin with 5 Vietnamese and they sat on her bed on the bottom bunk
most of the night and the two kids that were in there were playing
with her face and blowing on her all night - nice!!

To our surprise and joy we were able to have a hot shower at a hotel
in Sapa and brekky. I was a bit dubious about the scrambled eggs as
it us usually chopped up deep fried egg but it was either that, water
melon (which I am not a fan of) or beef noodle soup. Paul was happy
to have this but I was actually quite happy when the eggs came as they
actually resembled scrambled egg as we know it an was quite tasty.
The coffee on the other hand blows your socks off!! They like it
really strong here and if you ask for milk they put a large blob of
condensed milk in it that just turns it into very strong and sweet
coffee. Oh well, mustn't grumble.

We were staying in a home stay that night and needed to hike 12km
through the rice terraces which we were really looking forward to. We
were met outside by a group of H'mong people (Vietnamese minority)
dressed in traditional dress with wraps around their legs, dark blue
tunics with very colourful embroidery on the arms and edges. They
also have a head wrap and depending what tribe they are from depends
on what colour the wrap is. We were greeted with "Hello, whats your
name?" "Where you from?" How old are you?" "Do you have brothers or
sisters?" We thought this was all very nice and friendly but was
later to discover that it is also a sales ploy. I was particularly
befriended by Mu and Vu two ladies, one 50 and the other 55 although
they looked 85 and 90. As we set off they joined us and each H'mong
seemed to latch on to a westerner. As we walked through the village
to the start of the walk we were adorned with many friendship
bracelets and flowers and even little horses that they made from a
long blade of grass. Before we got to the start of the trek we made a
quick stop for refreshments where loads of H'mong women were trying to
sell us bamboo poles as walking sticks. We are alright surely? We are
quite fit. Well, as soon as we set off Paul cleverly said " We will
look like right wallies if we refused those sticks and we fell on our
arse" As soon as he said arse he skidded and slipped on the gravel
and got mud all over his backside. Yes Paul you did look like a wally
:0) The further we got down the track the steeper and muddier it got.
This is where the H'mong people come in. They start to hold your
hand and help you and tell you where to place your feet. One American
girl refused and jumped over a gully and thumped right on her coccyx
and splashed me with mud in the process but I had to feel sorry for
her as she had sloppy mud all over her bum and up her back - poor luv
and we had another 6 hours to go!! Here are all of the westerners
with their fancy smancy walking boots on and slipping and sliding all
over the place and the H'mong are like little mountain goats in their
plastic thongs. It was a bit embarrassing as they were also either
double your age or about 9.

The hike was pretty cool. The visibility was low due to low clouds
not smog and it was so nice to get out of the city and not to hear a
beep of a horn.

Lunch time was when the hoards of H'mong people pounced. Mu and Vu
quite rightly said that they had helped me and I really had no qualms
about buying something from them I was however under the impression
that I was buying goods that they had hand made and our guide also
H'mong later told us that they are machine made. I perhaps wouldn't
have paid so much if I had known but I am happy with them and they
will make good Christmas presents :0)

After lunch we made our way to the home stay and although it was very
basic we were really happy to discover that there was power and
plumbing the two most important P's. The other 4 people that we were
with were really friendly so we just sat around and drank beer and

Dinner was amazing. Beautifully cooked over a fire in the kitchen on
the floor the guide and our host crouched round the pans frantically
rolling, chopping and stirring. Refusing any help offered. The meal
was probably one of our best yet. Our host offered shots of rice wine
throughout the meal and there was much laughing and talking. I have
not drunk rice wine before and were not aware of the perils. It has
and effect from the tips of your toes upwards, so that your head feels
perfectly fine but you find that your feet then legs stop to function
as they should. This is especially scary when you have plastic
sandals on your feet provided by the host so you don't traipse mud
into her home and you need to go to the toilet that is tiled and wet and a hole in the ground. Well it was a bit like the scene out of a cartoon where the character is running on the spot and to add to that I slipped and fell back and landed on the bathroom floor that was soaking wet. Trust me it could have been much worse as I had just been to the loo and could have fallen back into it - lovely!!

The beds were very basic, a small sponge mattress on the floor and we all slept in the same room, but we all slept even though it was the coldest night we had had it a long time, I guess that is also the benefit of the
rice wine.

The next day we continued our trek and the trail was even muddier and
even steeper than the day before. Today I had 2 tiny little girls
helping me. Paul decided that he would do it on his own and treated
it like a planning project - where should he place his next step??? I
am not bagging his projects at all but by the end of the day his
feet were soaking and he had mud up to his knees. He did enjoy
himself though.

The night train on the way back was a shocker. We were definitely
spoilt on the way here. we had bottom bunks but it was like sleeping
on hardboard. We decided to down a few beers to help us sleep and we
did - hurrah!! We got off the train at 6am and had a bus to catch to
Ninh Bihn at 8am so we went back to our hotel to pick up our bags and
have a sneaky free brekky. Then onto a bus heading for Ninh Bihn. We
actually, to our distain, got a tour as it was cheaper (apparently!!)
than getting a bus. It was however a good tour and we went to Tam Coc
which has these amazing Karsts but this time out of the ground not the
sea like Halong Bay. We arrived and jumped onto a little boat where
the rower rows with his feet. Then there is a little old lady that
sits in the boat with and oar and occasionally rows. We had read in
the lonely planet about this scam. The lady is there for you to buy a
drink for and then she sells it back to the vendor later for half the
price. There are scams everywhere and you really need to have your
wits about you. Anyway we knew this was coming and the LP said you
just need a sense of humour and patience which I did, especially when
she started to pull out table cloths and napkins. When we got to the
middle we were pounced on by floating grocery stores and the women
were trying to sell us drinks and food. We denied until they
mentioned beer and our ears pricked up. We could hardly deny "drink
for mamma?" now, so we cracked open the can and stuck a straw in it -
hee hee, you have to drink it now old lady :0)

We spent a wonderful day each on the back of a motorbike today riding around the Vietnamese countryside. We rode up to a National Park and Endangered Money Sactuary and went on a hike and as expected it was not without incident. Our motorbike drivers showed us the map of a 10km hike that looked as if it was a circuit and they would meet us 3/4 of the way around the hike in about 2 and a half hours. We had a wonderful walk although I was worried about leeches, luckily I had long trousers on but Paul was being very manly about the fact that he could get blood sucking slugs attached to him - eeukk! The walk was not very well sign posted and we got to a T Junction, left to guesthouse, right to the Ancient Tree. He said left at the ancient tree, right? Sure.... It took us about 40 minutes to get to the ancient tree and when we got there there was no obvious path. I thought I found it but after 100m it disappeared so we went back and found another path. We were walking on this path through amazing grasslands the grass coming up to your shoulders, full of flowers that were attracting hundreds of different types of butterflies (not so relaxing for Paul who is scared of butterflies would you believe??? Evil, apparently) I found it amazing though, butterflies of all different sizes and colours, it was really magical. Then things stated to get a little weird. There were trees that had fallen on the path and alternative routes around them then uneven paths crossing creeks and the jungle started to get thicker and thicker and I was getting incresingly uneasy. Plus we had now been walking for over 3 hours and should be there already. I must admit the adrenaline started to pump around my body and my heart was pounding - what if we were to get lost in the middle of the Vietnamese Jungle?? The potential seriousness of the situation started to hit us. We came to an area where the path was not really distinguishable. Paul really didn't like the look of this. What were our options? It could be just around the corner or we could get lost. We both thought the best idea would be to go back to the ancient tree, then to the Guesthouse and then ring the hotel where we were staying, get them to ring the drivers to pick us up from where we were. So we turned back and thankfully made it back to the Guesthouse in one piece and would you believe, we were just about to ask the reception for a phone when we heard the sound of motorbikes and our drivers came zooming around the corner waving there hands shouting "Hello!". What a relief. Scary but at least we have a story to tell. I wont be doing that again in a hurry.

We have a nice hotel in Ninh Bihn and finally a day of rest. We are
off to Hoi An tonight on a dreaded sleeper bus as we couldn't get the
train. Please don't let there be roaches as some other travellers
told us there were......

Posted by paulandjes 05:01 Archived in Vietnam Tagged round_the_world Comments (0)

(Entries 21 - 25 of 39) « Page 1 2 3 4 [5] 6 7 8 »